Thursday, January 31, 2008

stars

Walking home from the Linden last night, I looked up at the sky, and there were stars everywhere, more than I'd ever seen before, so beautiful and serene that I want so hard to be able to use the world's most poetic language to describe them, but I don't know if I'll be able to.

It was as though they were suspended in the air not too far above, not pinpricks in a black blanket sky, but globes, shining white globes hanging on invisible strings. They seemed to float along with me as I walked, the same way the moon does when you drive by it in your car. They floated lazily, quietly, shining fireflies but so much more. I think what got me the most was the sheer amount of them, thrown haphazardly across the horizon, stretching farther than I could see. 

They hung over the castle, over the moat, over everything, and all I could think was how I am so, so lucky to be here.

No comments: